As a leader in his field, John is an active member of the international arbitration community. Some of his activities are listed below.
- Adjunct Professor, New York University School of Law.
- International Arbitration Columnist for the New York Law Journal.
- Chairman of the Practising Law Institute program on International Arbitration.
- Member of the Editorial Board of Global Arbitration Review.
- Member of Consultative Group of the Restatement of the Law Third, The U.S. Law of International Commercial and Investor-State Arbitration.
- Member of the American Law Institute.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Board of Trustees, Foundation For International Arbitration Advocacy.
- Council, American Arbitration Association.